In 1997 UNESCO included the Royal Palace of Caserta, the Aqueduct Carolino and the Belvedere complex of San Leucio on the lists of World Heritage Sites.
Belvedere of San Leucio
Let yourself be enchanted by the elegant Vanvitellian Complex and the suggestive view of Caserta from above.
The Real Belvedere rises on the slopes of the San Leucio hill, a few minutes drive from the center of Caserta. The beautiful building is surrounded by greenery and allows you to enjoy a breathtaking view of Caserta. Today it hosts a museum itinerary, consisting of the historic apartment, with furnished halls and frescos by Fischetti and decorations by Hackert, and of the silk museum, where it is possible to admire old looms which are still in perfect working conditions, Renaissance gardens and the weaver’s house.
Up to the end of the 1500s, before the Real Belvedere of San Leucio, there was a villa owned by the princes of Caserta, the Acquaviva. Starting from 1750 the whole area was bought by King Charles of Borbone to make it a hunting lodge and a place of leisure for the whole family. Ferdinand IV, succeeding on the throne, following the death of his eldest son in Vaccheria’s old shooting lodge, upsets and overturns his father’s plans and ordered Collecini to transform the complex and to support it with industrial buildings to work silk and workers’ residences. In the following years San Leucio became a small village with an independent existence based on the production and processing of silk, the Real Colonia of San Leucio. In 1789 the king signed the Leucian Code, a body of laws that regulated the life of the population on the basis of definitely revolutionary principles: health care, minimum wage, rights to a house, school obligation, equal rights. A model that worked for decades: the silk industries of San Leucio supplied their goods to some of the most prestigious buyers in the world.
Week days: from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 P.M.
Sunday and Holidays: from 9,30 a.m. To 1:00 and from 3:00 P.M. To 6:00 P.M.
Closed on Tuesday afternoons.
Contacts: Tel. +39-0823/301817 – 0823/273151
By train, bus or taxi: Directly or via Roma–Napoli with Trenitalia stopping at Caserta. In the square in front of the train station you will find bus and taxi.
By plane: internazionale Napoli Capodichino Airport, 30 Km
By car: Autostrada A1 (Milano- Napoli) uscita Caserta nord, turn left in via Caduti sul Lavoro, turn left in via Tifata, at the roundabout continue straight ahead and stay on via Tifata, at the roundabout continue straight ahead and take Variante Anas towards Caserta/Maddaloni, then exit at the Caserta Nord Caiazzo exit and continue on the left towards San Leucio.
Reggia di Caserta (Royal Palace of Caserta)
The majesty of the Royal Palace of the Royal Borbone family will take your breath away.
The Royal Palace is one of the symbols of the city of Caserta. The link between the city and the Royal Palace is indissoluble, even if Caserta has a much older history.
The Royal Palace is one of the largest royal residences in the world. It covers an area of about 47 thousand square meters. It was erected in the plain of Terra di Lavoro by will of Charles of Borbone who chose Caserta as the ideal center of the new Kingdom of Naples. It became, in fact, the center of the life and affairs of the court. After various alternate events, the design of the royal residence was entrusted to Luigi Vanvitelli, son of the painter Gaspar Van Wittel. More than fifty years elapsed between the laying of the foundation stone in 1752 and the completion of the works. In 1759, in fact, Charles of Borbone left the kingdom of Naples to reach Madrid and the construction work slowed down considerably. So at the death of Luigi Vanvitelli, the Palazzo Nuovo, as it was called at the time, was far from being completed. It was Carlo Vanvitelli, Luigi’s son, and other architects who carried out the work, with a simplified project of the Park.
Every day from 8.30 a.m. To 7:00 P.M.
Closed on Tuesdays.
Contacts: Tel. +39-0823/448084 Email firstname.lastname@example.org
By train: Directly or via Rome-Naples with Trenitalia. From the station it is about a 5-minutes walk through the square in front of the Royal Palace.
By plane: Naples Capodichino International Airport, 24 Km
By Car: Autostrada A1 (Milan-Naples) exit Caserta north, continue along via Nazionale Appia towards Caserta for about 3 km.
The size of one of the most interesting architectural and engineering works of the 18th century will amaze you.
The Carolino aqueduct was built by will of Charles of Borbone for the needs of the Royal Palace, with its gardens and its aquatic games, of the San Leucio complex and the city itself, which was in strong expansion at the time. The king commissioned Luigi Vanvitelli with the project, asking him to create a grandiose hydraulic engineering exploit. The part most visibly majestic (the track is buried for 38 km) consists of the “Ponti della Valle”, an imposing structure that crosses the Maddaloni Valley and which is about 15 km from the center of Caserta. The tuff construction has three rows of round arches, with a height of 60 meters and a length of about 500 meters.
It is advisable to reach the “Ponti della Valle” by car: A1 exit Caserta sud or A1 exit Caserta nord and then by SS7 and SS265.